1. Name, Title, Library
Adriana Mark, J.D., M.L.I.S.
Head of Research & Education, Library at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
2. Tell us about your Shelfie (Where is it? What’s on it, and why?)
This is my constantly rotating “to read” shelf of print titles at home. It also includes a pile of poetry topped by Hagrid; a Golden Girls Dorothy mug; Toastmasters awards from a couple of humorous speech contests; and the classic old school West commands mug.
3. What is your favorite thing on your shelf?
The Queen Daenerys Targaryen peg doll, created by my dear friend, artist Theresa Christensen.
4. Besides your workplace library (naturally), what is the coolest library you have ever seen/been to?
The photo library at the Associated Press. A priceless collection of iconic images.
5. What do you like the most about being a librarian? What do you like the least?
Like the most – I love working with people and connecting them to the information they need. I really love the work we’re doing for our Chief Judge, Robert Katzmann’s, civic education initiative, “Justice for All: Courts and the Community.” Shameless plug: visit our website.
Like the least – I could live without the glib think-pieces about the relevancy of libraries / librarians.
6. What is the best advice you’ve ever been given?
Consider the source.
7. Who is your library/librarian hero (or the person who inspired (inspires) you to be a librarian)?
The Connecticut Four – fierce, brave, and the embodiment of the core principles of librarianship.
8. What was your best day on the job?
I’m extremely fortunate that most days are great days but the best was a chat with Justice “Notorious” RBG about a couple of famous Second Circuit cases.
9. What was the last book you read? Digital or Print?
Fever Dream, by Samantha Schweblin. Read it in print in one sitting. Short but powerful, and utterly terrifying.
10. What’s the last thing you Googled?
Key Largo attractions.
11. Cats or Dogs?
12. Coffee or Tea?
Tea – hot or iced.
13. How many cardigans do you own 😉
Wearing navy blue right now haha.
14. Favorite Word? Least favorite word?
Favorite word – Namaste
Least favorite word – Fester
15. What’s your perfect Sunday afternoon look like?
Yoga, farmers market, brunch.